You must be wondering, what is the percentage of water in the human body, The Percentage of water has differences with different age groups.
The percentage of water in the Human body generally ranges from 45-75% and an adult has 57-60% of the water in their body. Newborn babies or infants have the highest percentage of water in their body with 75-78%, After 1-year percentage drops to 65% in infants.
Who has the most water percentage?
- Infants and newborn babies have the highest percentage of water.
- After Infants Adult men have the next highest water percentage.
- An adult woman has a lower percentage of water than infants or men.
Percentage of water in the Human body depends on the hydration level, Water in the human’s body is the most abundant molecule. a person starts feeling thirsty when he loose 2-3% of water, being hydrated by just 2% can make your mind healthy and can help in taking various life decisions properly.
The percentage of water in the Human body should be maintained because it keeps our minds in a good state. High waters percentage also keeps away various diseases because it can dilute the effect of harmful things in our body.
The function of Water in Our Body
Water in the Human Body serves various purposes:
- Water is the primary building block of the human body, It helps in protecting Tissues, Spinal Cords, Joints, and making our body stronger.
- Water helps us from becoming dehydrated. A good water percentage can keep us hydrated all the time.
- Water acts as an insulator, regulating internal body temperature in the Human body.
- Water helps in perspiration and respiration of the Human Body.
- Water helps to metabolize the proteins and carbohydrates used as food.
- The compound lubricates joints.
- Water also carries oxygen to nutrients and cells so it has very much importance in the Human body.
- Water is the principal solvent in the body. It dissolves minerals, soluble vitamins, and certain nutrients.
- Water helps in making us healthy and maintaining a good body mass index.
You Can Calculate Your Body mass Index -> Click Here
Body Water Percentage Charts
For the first few months of life nearly 3/4 of our body is made up of water but as we start growing up the percentage of water starts decreasing because body tissues start getting old and old tissues to have less capacity to store the water. So, your weight and body composition affect the percentage of water in the human body.
Water as a percentage of body weight in adults
Water as a percentage of body weight in infants and children
Where Water stored in Human Body?
Most of the body’s water is in the intracellular fluid (2/3 of the body’s water). The other third is in the extracellular fluid (1/3 of the water). Generally, most of the water lies in our Blood Plasma(20% of the body’s total). According to old articles published the percentage of water in the human heart and brain is around 73% the lungs are 83%, muscles and kidneys are 79%, the skin is 64%, and the bones are around 31%.
Why is water so important to body function?
Water plays a very essential role in the human body and helps in the performance of various life processes.
- Water helps the Human body in protecting sensitive tissues.
- Water is the main ingredient in saliva so it has huge importance.
- Water is part of the “shock absorber” system in the spine
- Water helps in digestion of our various foods in Humans body so we should be hydrated all the time for that food gets properly digested.
- A healthy water percentage is also essential for the body because it helps in maintaining body temperature.
How to determine the percentage of water in the Human Body
You can determine the percentage of water from the various online calculator available or you can also do this by using a formula. The Watson formula helps in calculating the total body water in liters.
Watson formula for men
2.447 – (0.09145 x age) + (0.1074 x height in centimeters) + (0.3362 x weight in kilograms) = total body weight (TBW) in liters
Watson formula for women.
–2.097 + (0.1069 x height in centimeters) + (0.2466 x weight in kilograms) = total body weight (TBW) in liters
To get the percentage of water in your body, assume 1 liter equals 1 kilogram and then divide your TBW by your weight. It’s a simplistic estimate, but it will give you an idea if you’re in a healthy range for the percentage of water in your body.
How you can maintain a healthy water percentage?
Getting the amount of water differs for different age groups because it depends on factors such as age, weight, health, and activity level. The amount we should take each also depends on the food and beverages you consume each day.
Your body automatically tries to maintain a good percentage of water by removing it from the body and if you consume too little amount of water then it can raise the risks of dehydration & possibly it can harm your body.
Can We Drink Too much Water?
It is not possible to drink too much of the water because it can result in water intoxication, It is a condition in which levels of sodium, potassium, and other electrolytes become diluted.
If the level of sodium reduces too much in our body than it can also result in severe health-related problems.